HLTH 4205 Walden University The Cohort Study Approach DiscussionCourse
Jacobsen, K.H. (2017). Introduction to health research methods. (2nd ed.). Burlington: Jones and Bartlett Learning.
- Chapter 7, “Overview of Study Designs,” pp. 37–40
- Chapter 8, “Case Series,” pp. 41–44
- Chapter 9, “Cross-Sectional Surveys,” pp. 45–48
- Chapter 10, “Case-Control Studies,” pp. 49–58
- Chapter 11, “Cohort Studies,” pp. 59–70
- Chapter 12, “Experimental Studies,” pp. 71–86
- Chapter 13, “Qualitative Studies,” pp. 87–94
- Chapter 14, “Correlational Studies,” pp. 95–102
Walden University Center for Research Quality. (n.d.-b). Research resources: Research design & analysis. Retrieved January 16, 2019, from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/researchcenter/…
Discussion: Study Approaches
Researchers use many different approaches to find the answers to their study questions. Study approaches include case series, cross-sectional, case-control, cohort, experimental, qualitative, and correlational. Each approach has its advantages and challenges.
For this Discussion, you will consider the many ways in which you could answer your research question. If you are considering an experimental method, consider the types of experiments. You may want to consider administering a survey, but you need to also consider the type of survey. One key element to valid research is the selection of the study approach.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Consider your research topic and the results of your literature review
- Review the different study designs presented in the textbook (Chapters 7–14)
BY DAY 4
Post a comprehensive response to the following:
- What type of study design would you use for your proposed study (case series, cross-sectional, case-control, cohort, experimental, qualitative, or correlational)?
- Why is the approach you selected the most suitable to support your study question?
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
BY DAY 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues’ postings in one or more of the following ways:
- Suggest an alternate study design that would be appropriate for your colleagues’ study question and explain why that study design is appropriate
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned and/or any insights you have gained as a result of your colleagues’ comments. You are not required to post these final insights.
SUBMISSION AND GRADING INFORMATION
To access your rubric:
Week 3 Discussion Rubric
Post by Day 4 and Respond by Day 6