Needs of Boys
Meeting the Needs of Boys
At an age where learning is accelerated in the classroom and more is expected of our students, boys are struggling to meet the expectations set forth in contemporary schooling. In fact, “Boys are 30 percent more likely than girls to flunk or drop out of school” (PBS, n.d.). As early childhood sets the stage for learning, which can have a tremendous influence in starting all children out on the right path, it is important that early childhood educators and leaders in the field understand the unique needs of each and every child that enters our classroom. Part of being a 21st-century educator encompasses meeting the needs of all children in our care and exhibiting an anti-sexist approach to teaching. For this discussion we will take a closer look at how to specifically meet the needs of boys in our classrooms.
- View the video Gaming to re-engage boys in learning (Links to an external site.) and read the article “Understanding and Raising Boys (Links to an external site.)”.
- Compare and contrast scholarly research on this topic. Find one recent (within 5 years) peer reviewed scholarly article in the . In at least a paragraph, compare the article’s findings to both the video and the article, “Understanding and Raising Boys.” What information is supported in all three resources? Are any facts refuted? How do these resources either support or refute your stance on this topic?
- Reflect on your personal views and experiences with this topic. How will your experiences and views have a positive impact on your work with children and/or teachers in your career? What adjustments might you have to make after further researching this topic? How will you uphold best practices and ethical conduct for teaching boys in the classroom?
- Propose at least one activity that can be done in the classroom that models best practice for teaching boys. Support your use of this activity by stating specifically how it aligns with best practices and the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct (Links to an external site.).
- Summarize your stance on this topic by creating a four-to-five sentence philosophy statement. In your statement, be sure to explain how your stance aligns with developmentally appropriate practices and how it is supported by theory. This short statement will be added to your overall philosophy of education.
Please write the question and answer
Do you need high quality Custom Essay Writing Services?