nr501 week 2 Reflective Essay
at the end of Week 2. The guidelines are below and the guidelines and grading rubric for this assignment are also located in Course Resources.
Nursing knowledge is classified in a variety of ways, one of which is Carper’s Patterns of Knowing (Carper, 1978). Carper’s framework offers a lens through which the nurse can reflect upon insights acquired through empirical, ethical, personal, and aesthetic knowledge (Carper, 1978). Through intentional reflection using Carper’s Patterns of Knowing, nurses can process experiential learning and knowledge acquired through practice. The purpose of this assignment is to reflect upon a specific practice situation and better understand the professional knowledge and insights obtained through that experience.
Through this assessment, the student will meet the following Course Outcomes:
- Demonstrate logical and creative thinking in the analysis and application of theory to nursing practice. (CO #1)
- Examine broad theoretical concepts as foundational to advanced nursing practice roles. (CO #3)
Total Points Possible
This assignment is worth 100 points.
Submit your file by 11:59 p.m. MT Sunday at the end of Week 2.
Criteria for Content
- Think of a surprising or challenging practice situation in which you felt underprepared, unprepared, or uncomfortable.
- Select an important nursing issue/topic that was inherent to the identified situation.
- As a method of refection, use Carper’s Patterns of Knowing to analyze the situation. In a two- to three-page paper address the following:
- Brieflyexplain the situation
- Identify the nursing issue inherent in the identified situation
- What do you think was the underlying reason for the situation? (Esthetics)
- What were your thoughts and feeling in the situation? (Personal)
- What was one personal belief that impacted your actions? (Ethics)
- What evidence in nursing literature supports the nursing importance of the identified issue? (Empirical)
- What new insights did you gain through this reflective practice opportunity?