Traditional Criminal Justice System Discussion
Week 2 Topic:
One of the common assessments carried out by the forensic psychologist in the court/criminal system is the risk assessment.
After reading in your text and conducting a web search on this topic discuss the purpose of a risk assessment within the context of the court and criminal system. Share why you think that risk assessment is so controversial.
One population for which this assessment is almost always used is on the sexual offender.
- Why is this kind of assessment so important with this population?
- Also take some time to look up the Jimmy Ryce Act (Jimmy Ryce Involuntary Civil Commitment for Sexually Violent Predators’ Treatment And Care Act) in Florida.
- What role does risk assessment play in the application of this act?
- Do you have any concerns about this act and/or civil commitment?
- 2. Your initial post (your response to the topic) must contain a citation. It is your ideas supported by research. Please refer to the APA Power Point in the Start Here section of the classroom for information on proper formatting. There will be a deduction of 20 points for failure to cite a source within your initial post and to provide a reference at the end of your initial post.
3. Your initial post must be a minimum of 300 words